Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cake decorating

Well, I (Sal) have decided I need to start practicing for the boys’ second birthday cake. We’re still not sure what type of cake they will be getting, but I thought I’d try out a few techniques to see what works.

Here’s my first three attempts…

First, Tracie’s birthday cake. It was a chocolate cake. Covered in icing, then fondant. Then with some strawberries dipped in chocolate on top.

tn_P1130648

Second is Grandma’s (Tracie’s mother) cake. This was a butter/vanilla cake, covered in butter cream icing and lots and lots of lollies. In the middle, a pic of her grandsons. Grandma LOVES her grandsons and lollies, so this cake was perfect for her!! (SO SO SO Sweet to eat!!!)tn_P1230733

Finally, Nana’s (Sal’s mother) cake. Nana likes giraffes, so she got a banana flavoured giraffe cake. It’s covered in orange coloured butter cream icing. The black outlines and features are liquorice. The “spots” are chocolate.  The mane is fruit rollups.tn_P1250756

So far, my cake making has been fairly successful. I’m lucky to have 3 birthdays in January to practice with. Next is Aunty Shell’s in Feb, and then her engagement party in late Feb. Got some more practice to do!

1 comment:

ROOT226 said...

Oh my goodness, you're so clever AND talented!! Ever considered cake decorating as a business? ABSOLUTELY wonderful!!!