Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sickness update – Getting better and getting worse

WEDNESDAY: I never thought the day would come so soon that I would voluntarily get up before the boys! Our boys usually sleep around 12 hours (sometimes 13 in the winter) from around 6:30-7pm until 7am. In the last week with all this sickness they’ve been waking at 7ish, but dozing and not making us get up until 7:30-7:45am which is FANTASTIC!

Today I woke at about 6ish to hear Ethan crying. Thankfully it only lasted about 5 secs and he settled himself, so I turned over and went back to sleep. I woke again a little while later and saw the clock said 8:34! I was shocked. I listened closely to the monitor and I could hear someone breathing, so I wasn’t too worried. I slowly made my way out of bed, made some bottles for the boys (as they are still on 3 bottles a day – which is a whole different story) and went to see if they were ok. I went into the room at about 8:45 and both boys were still asleep. Unfortunately the door made a noise and woke Ben, so I got him up and gave him a bottle. I left the door open so Ethan would wake soon. I went back into the room every 10-15mins to see if he was awake yet. I opened the window as it was unseasonably warm for a winter morning hoping the light and breeze would wake him. It didn’t!! An hour later when I was in his room checking on him I accidently coughed and he finally woke up. Ben slept 14.5 hours and Ethan slept 15.5 hours last night! They’ve never slept that long before.

Poor Ethan woke up very hot with a temp of 39.1 (102.3). He was dressed too warm (like I said before it was unseasonably warm) so I stripped him down to a singlet and his temp didn’t come down. It has since returned to normal an hour after some Nurofen (ibuprofen). He’s been miserable, lethargic, coughing, snotty and not eating again -thankfully he’s drinking, but he’ll be going back to the doctor again this afternoon. Ben’s still coughing, but he’s a little happier and a little more active. He’s been walking around the house this morning in quite a good mood, but suddenly got very tired and almost fell asleep from exhaustion in my arms. Both boys are napping as I write this.

Tracie is slowly improving. She’s still coughing, has a sore throat, sore muscles from coughing and she’s got minimal energy, but she’s getting better.

I’ll update later and let you know what the doctor says…..

No comments: