Thursday, August 30, 2012

"Sneaky Sauce" tomato purée

A friend of mine introduced me to this sauce, she calls "sneaky sauce"

It's a very simple recipe, and it's basically a 'use what you have' type of recipe.

It's basically a vegetable purée that's combined with canned tomato purée. I steam/sauté veggies, then purée them in the food processor, until smooth. Then add canned tomato purée 1 part to 3 parts vegetable purée. You can also add pepper or herbs at this point. I don't add salt.

I have made the sauce twice (in bulk) and used various combinations of the following Ingredients:
Tomato
Carrot
Onion
Garlic
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Zucchini
Sweet potato
Red Capsicum (red bell peppers in USA)
Spinach

Basically what ever you have in the house. Try to do bright and red coloured veggies. Too many dark ones will affect the colour and make it not so appetizing.
I then freeze in small portions.

I have used this sauce as a pasta sauce, pizza topping, dipping sauce and in recipes where it calls for tomato purée. It's delicious on its own, and Ben and Ethan love licking the container clean when ever I defrost and use some sauce.


No comments: